10.01.2016

My quest to get hired at the BBC: First World problems

You know your life is pretty great when one of the biggest problems you’re dealing with is not being able to find a place with free Wi-Fi.

Trying to find free Wi-Fi in London is
not as easy as some might expect.
Photo by Gobind Prihar. 

And yes, I used the word “problem.” For the journalist in me who wants to live-tweet all the things happening as I walk the streets of London (where I am more often than not lost because I can’t use Google Maps), it totally counts as one.

That being said, since I’m not here covering major news stories (or any news, really), it might actually be a blessing that I can’t tweet whatever comes to mind. I’ve had some pretty unintelligent moments during my three weeks here, and I could end up sabotaging myself online before even getting a chance to prove I’m a half-decent journalist. Not ideal.

Also, as mentioned a bit earlier, not knowing where I am is another problem I have here. My sense of direction is already absolutely terrible. Add in London’s lack of proper signage when it comes to displaying street names (I never appreciated those poles we have on every street corner at home that tell you what intersection you’re at before this trip) and you’re just asking for trouble. I kick it old school by writing down directions and using an actual map to try and figure out where I am and where I need to be, but most of the time these steps don’t help. Luckily, Londoners seem to quickly pick up on the fact that I’m hopelessly lost, and are very willing to offer assistance. I’m just thankful I don’t have to be at any news conferences or live on scene anywhere, because I’d be late… all the time.


One of the easier to see street signs
on a building in London.
Photo by Gobind Prihar

Not sounding like I’m completely confused when I talk to locals is an issue as well. Sure, I meet kind people who try to answer my questions and will sometimes correct me when I use wrong terms, but it doesn’t leave a good impression when you seem like you have no clue what’s happening, especially as a journalist. It’s key to be sure about things and make confident statements. I can’t convince news editors and directors – or the general public – that I can report on London’s day-to-day news stories if I can’t even properly order a latte to go. (Is it “may I have a latte in a takeaway cup,” “may I have a latte to takeaway,” or “may I have a latte as a takeaway”? I still don’t know.)

Now, I realize all of these things are just , and I want to clarify that I definitely realize how fortunate I am. I’m in London on vacation for an entire month. I have a wonderful and very supportive group of family members and friends. I have a roof over my head, food in my fridge, and a bed to sleep in every night. I don’t worry about my safety, I’ve never had to think twice about my right to vote or go to school, and I have so many opportunities to chase my absurd and very-unlikely-to-come-true dreams (like the one that inspired this blog series).


I'm not immune to complaining about my First World problems.
But then I remember: I'm in London chasing my dream.
Life's pretty great.
Photo by Yasmin Jaswal

Despite all of this, I’m still not immune to complaining about the First World problems I deal with. Maybe I can add becoming someone who doesn't complain to my list of big dreams to chase, right after not needing Google to ensure I don’t get lost. But until I get that BBC job, I don't see either of those goals being achieved. Sorry. 

If you want more from my trip, check out my Instagram and Twitter accounts (I update them when I do have Wi-Fi. Obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment