10.30.2020

Monthly Mains: October 2020

Monthly Mains: October 2020
Illustration by Len Kurosaki

I’m a big fan of shopping local, supporting small businesses, and giving my money to companies that give back to the community and do good. I also have spent my time in quarantine doing a lot of online shopping and needed something to help me justify all my purchases. And so I bring you Monthly Mains, a series where I’ll highlight three things that have made my life better (and will probably make yours better, too).


October is basically the height of fall (in my opinion) – the leaves change colour and begin to drop from tree branches, pumpkin spice lattes are available and being ordered in full force at coffee shops everywhere, and the oversized scarves are around everyone’s necks. If you’re in Calgary, you’ll probably also have asked yourself why Fall only lasts two weeks in this city as you shoveled snow and scraped frost off your windshield at least once within the first week.

Along with experiencing the usual October/Fall routines (especially the last part), this month I was really loving these three things: 



Illustration by Len Kurosaki
I have a candle problem. And that problem became VERY apparent back in April when I found myself looking at (and buying) candles from small businesses across Canada. I’ve accumulated quite a few candles, but it was a more recent purchase that was lit almost all month: The Made of Magick candle by Land of Daughters.

The scent features notes of pumpkin, mahogany and cream, which already screams Fall, but the smell is not overwhelming or fake. Light this candle and the entire room will have the soft, slightly sweet smell that’s reminiscent of walking on a tree-lined path with a latte in your coziest sweater on a crisp Fall afternoon. And since it feels like the majority of the month I’ve spent more time shoveling my driveway than walking on pathways, it’s been a perfect thing to have lit in my living room while I work.

The candle is limited edition, and when I spoke with Paige (the owner of Land of Daughters) she said she wasn’t sure if she'd bring it back once it sold out. Basically what I’m saying is… head over to the
Land of Daughters website and grab yours now. 



Illustration by Len Kurosaki
As a born and raised Calgarian, there was always one city I could just never like: Edmonton. But in recent years, Alberta’s capital doesn’t seem nearly as bad as I once believed. I mean, don’t get me wrong; it’s not Calgary. But it’s got great people and great local businesses, including Awake Coffee House.
 

The coffee shop itself is located in the northwest community of Twin Brooks. It’s a modern, sleek space (which it shares with a pharmacy) and offers baked goods, fresh juice, and of course, delicious made-to-order caffeinated drinks.

I enjoyed my experience at the café so much that I bought a bag of the Awake blend. The beans are roasted by B.C.-based Drumroaster Coffee, and the flavour profile includes chocolate, caramel and cherry. It’s been my go-to coffee this month – it’s smooth, sweet, mellow and not bitter – making it very easy to drink early in the morning and throughout the day.

If you’re ever in Edmonton, I would highly recommend stopping by, ordering a drink (and maybe a sweet or savoury waffle) and spending some time looking at the collection of specialty coffees and teas you can take with you and enjoy at home. 


 

Illustration by Len Kurosaki
Inspired by Khalid Albaih

"Style is a way to show who you are without having to speak."
– Rachel Zoe, American fashion designer. 

I'm definitely not a fashion expert, but I am someone who will purchase a piece of clothing or an accessory that shows a little bit of my personality and/or beliefs. That's exactly why I I bought this red sweatshirt: it's a comfy piece of clothing that can be worn daily - but more importantly - it shares an important message that I very strongly believe in.

The original design for this sweatshirt was created in 2016 by artist
 Khalid Albaih. It shows former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeling with his afro in the shape of a fist. The illustration went viral for its creative use of art to highlight and support all that was happening at the time surrounding Kaepernick, his kneeling during the U.S. national anthem as a form of protest, and the issue he was bringing attention to through his actions: police brutality towards the Black community. 

In 2016, I wasn’t an online shopper, so I didn't end up buying a sweatshirt before they quickly sold out. But I never stopped wanting one, and I would often go back to Albaih's social pages to see if he had decided to put the item up for sale again.  

We are still dealing with the same issues Kaepernick was protesting in 2016, which were not new at that time either. After
 George Floyd’s murder in June 2020 brought the Black Lives Matter movement into the spotlight around the world, Albaih teamed up with Manhattan-based private arts club ArtX NYC to raise awareness and funds for civil rights issues. The Kaepernick illustration was printed on t-shirts and sweatshirts to be sold – with all profits being split between Know Your Rights Camp legal and Sadagaat-USA

This time around, buying the sweatshirt was a no-brainer, and it's been a staple in my October wardrobe. Besides supporting great causes and raising awareness on issues and the inequality that certain groups of people face on a daily basis, it’s also a well-made, good quality piece of clothing.   

It doesn’t appear that the items are still available for sale (there ARE copycat pieces out there - but they don't support the original artist). The good news though,
 is that more than $2500 US was raised through the collaboration. 

Black lives matter. Today and every day. Head to this webpage to learn more about the movement and find out how you can help. If you're in Canada,  check out this Huffington Post list 
of local organizations you can support as well. 


 Side dishes 

Podcast:
To Live and Die in LA

Quote: 
“Have you had a kindness shown? Pass it on; twas not given for thee alone, pass it on; let it travel down the years, let it wipe another’s tears, till in heaven the deed appears—pass it on. You can’t light a candle to show others the way, without feeling the warmth of that bright little ray; and you can’t give a rose all the fragrance with dew, without some of its sweetness remaining with you.”
– Henry Burton 

Read:
The Truth About Aaron: My Journey to Understand My Brother
– Jonathan Hernandez

Song:
Sink 
 Maya B, SAINt JHN

No comments:

Post a Comment